Thursday, September 13, 2007

Rosh HaShanah

September 13, 2007

Yesterday, we visited Hebron and the brave Jews who live there among thousands of Muslims. Hebron is the place of Abraham's third altar. And it is the place where God cut the covenant between the pieces with Abraham (Genesis 15).
We visited the caves of Machpelah, purchased by Abraham for 400 Shekels of silver as a place to bury Sarah. Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rebecca, Jacob and Leah are buried there.

The trip was cut a little short because the religious Jews there were preparing for the eve of the New Year, Rosh HaShanah.
Rosh means head. Shanah means year. Ha means the. So--Rosh HaShanah is the head of the year. It is the civil new year dated from the creation of Adam.

Last night people in our group enjoyed a Chag (feast) meal at the hotel and then visited different synagogues as they wanted. This morning they went to the wall to listen to the blowing of the shofars. The only thing the Bible says about this day is that it is a day of blowing of shofars.

I'll let my daughter, Shelli, tell you of her impressions.

Shelli: First of all. "Shana Tova." I've been practicing saying this after hearing it many times. Shana means year. And Tova means Good.

Today I woke up with the thought, Today I will learn with my feet just what it means to be in Jerusalem on this special day of the Feast of Trumpets. I walked with the tour group from our hotel through the Gehonim valley through Jaffa gate into the Jewish Quarter of the Old City to the Western Wall. The Wall is the only standing wall of the Temple Mount area of the Second Temple.

I saw families, dressed in their best. I kept my eyes on the men's section which is definitely more animated. I thought about how Jews all over the world were blowing shofars on this day. Here we heard the blowing of the shofar from one group and then the other.

I thought about the ram caught in the thicket by its horn that redeemed the life of Isaac. And to this day it calls for the Messiah.